Power of Positive Affirmations – How When and Why to do it?
An affirmation is really anything you say or think. A lot of what we normally say and think is quite negative and doesn’t create good experiences for us. We have to retain our thinking and speaking into positive patterns if we want to change our lives. An affirmation opens the door to bring this change. Through affirmations you are actually saying to your sub-conscious mind that you are taking responsibility of this change and are ready for it. When we talk about affirmations it means choosing your words consciously. These words will either help you to eliminate something from your life or help you to create something new in your life. We create our lives with every thought and every word we speak. Hence, choosing correct positive words is very essential.
Our beliefs are habitual thinking patterns that we learnt as children. Few of these limit our growth. When we start focussing on those belief patterns we can mould our lives through positive affirmations.
‘An affirmation opens the door. It’s a beginning point on the path to change.’
This famous quote by American author Louise L. Hay has a deep meaning in itself.
What are affirmations? According to the English American Dictionary, to ‘affirm’ is to state that something is true.
When applied to the spiritual life, an affirmation is a statement of truth which one aspires to absorb into his/her life.
How do positive affirmations change our life?
There is a science behind affirmations. When we do affirmations we are teaching our brain to think in a new way. This changes what our brain processes on our behalf, leading us to see things from a different perspective, until the change becomes so much that we get what is affirmed. The affirmations when specific give clear guidelines to our brain. It is generally believed that it takes 21 days of repetition of an affirmation to make its mark on our psyche. It takes 21 days on an average to form a habit. So to begin with, choose a positive affirmation and believe and visualize that you already have what you want for exactly 21 days. The very first thing you do to start your day is to visualize and use the affirmation chosen and affirm that before going to bed. The best time is before going to bed as you are in a peaceful state of mind so your body too gets the rest you deserve. When we affirm positive affirmations at night, they form new neural pathways in our brain, thereby, strengthening the beliefs that serve our purpose.
Here are few ways positive affirmations impact our life:
- It makes us aware of our daily thought patterns and words thereby reducing the risk of letting negativity seep in.
- Daily affirmations help us in attracting more blessings since our focus goes on conscious thinking towards the positive experiences.
- Daily positive affirmations keep you in a constant state of Gratitude.
- It improves and strengthens your Aura. It keeps the energy field encircling us clean and influential. As our aura becomes positively strong it starts bringing a shift around in people and experiences or situations.
- Positive affirmations improve our health mentally, physically and spiritually. This is because our brain is connected to our body and vice versa. So when we use correct affirmations regarding our health, our mind gets influenced first and then our body. Hence, our mind works on healing our body. And since the vibrations of positive thoughts increase our energy levels we rise spiritually too.
- Positive affirmations strengthen relationships and career. Positive affirmations have the power to flourish new relationships, strengthen old ones and ease out those having tensions. They also improve our mental health and stamina thereby improving our career and business life.
- Positive affirmations boost the Law of Attraction. Daily use of positive affirmations boosts the process of manifestations. Whatever we think our mind creates a thought wave and accordingly, we attract similar situations. So positive thoughts attract positive experiences.
Affirmations – Do’s and Dont’s
- The logic behind repeating a positive affirmation is to penetrate a particular statement into our sub-conscious mind in order to create a desired reality.
- When an affirmation is used in the right way, it programs our mind to act according to the repeated words. By using positive affirmations consciously and intently, you influence your mind from the core. And in turn, it transforms your habits, behaviour, attitude and reactions. It reshapes your external life. Therefore, while affirming care should be taken in choosing your words.
- Always create your affirmations in present tense. The sub-conscious mind always works at the present moment.
- Avoid using any negative word. The affirmation should contain only positive words.
- Keep your affirmations short, simple and specific.
- Use the word ‘NOW’.
- The most important aspect is visualizing your affirmation as if it has already happened.
- Meditate daily for ten minutes to boost the power of affirmation.
- Be grateful for whatever you have in the present. This will give your mind a feeling of abundance thereby boosting the power of affirmations.
- Remember, ‘it’s the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen.’
This article is shared by Bhawal Thakker from Aliveingratitude . She is the person who taught me all about affirmations and I truly believe in the power of affirmations now. Until I met her 7-8 years back, I didn’t know anything about it. We will soon be having either a zoom session or a live session with her on affirmations. so stay tuned for more updates.
Very happy to introduce Bhawal Thakker as the editor to jinalgada.com. She has always been helping me as a friend ever since I started writing. But now she officially joins us as an editor.
You may also like to read my nomad travel experience An experience of real living – #nomadliving #banzaresoul #caravan2019